Diplomatic visas are issued to UN Laissez Passer or holders of diplomatic passports who would like to assume duties at an International Organisation, a Consulate or at a foreign Diplomatic Mission in Thailand. Two categories of visas can be granted. They depend on your duration of stay in Thailand.

If you’d like stay for a short period, then Diplomatic Visa, Category F will be issued. For a longer duration in Thailand, you’ll need to apply for a Diplomatic Visa, Category D. However, you’ll be allowed to visit Thailand without a visa for visits up to 30 days.

You’ll need to submit the following documents for both the visas.

  • An original diplomatic passport that is valid for a minimum of six months.
  • A completely filled and signed visa application form. Ensure that you use black or blue ink only.
  • Two original recent photographs that are not older than six months. They should be 2”x2” in size. Photocopies will not be accepted. Ensure that the photo has a light background with a full view of your face, no hat or dark glasses and the upper part of your shoulders are seen.
  • An official letter issued by the UK Embassy that certifies your identity as well as the purpose of your visit and stay in Thailand.
  • For UN Laissez Passer, you’ll also need a copy of your resident permit card.
  • If you require a multiple-entry visa, then your application letter must say so, along with further details.

The diplomatic visa is valid for six months or longer. It usually depends on the period of your mission in Thailand.

Submitting the Visa Application

If you’d like to submit your visa application in person, then you’ll need to visit the Royal Thai Embassy in London. Their operating hours are 9:00 am to 12:30 pm. The last queuing ticket will be issued at 12:00 pm.

You may be allowed to mail your documents by post for the diplomatic visa. You’ll need to include a self-addressed return envelope along with your application. But keep in mind that the Royal Thai Embassy will not accept any responsibility for any loss or damage.

Extending Your Stay

If you wish to stay longer or would like to change your type of visa, then you must file an application at the Immigration Office in Bangkok. Keep in mind though that both, extension of visa as well as changing certain visa types will be at the sole discretion on the Immigration Officer.

Another important thing that you need to keep in mind is that additional documents as deemed necessary may be requested by the Embassy. The immigration officers also reserve the right to reject any visa applications without providing a reason.

Hence, if you have more documents other than the ones requested above, you may want to consider submitting those along with your visa application. This will not only help the immigration officer, but may also expedite the granting of diplomatic visa.

Leave a Comment