If you’re looking to work as an English or any other teacher in Thailand, then you need to apply for a non-immigrant visa for teachers. This visa is meant for people from native English speaking countries. If you’d like to be employed, then you need to apply for Category B visa. However, if you’d like to work as a volunteer, then you need to apply for Category O.

Let’s take a look at the documents and process to be followed for Non-Immigrant Category B Visa for Teachers.

If you don’t wish to volunteer and would like to be employed in Thailand as a teacher, then you need to apply for the appropriate visa at Royal Thai Embassy in London. The following documents are mandatory.

  • A completely filled and signed visa application form.
  • An original passport or travel document that is valid for a minimum of six months from the date of travel.
  • A copy of the passport or travel document.
  • Two recent photographs that have been taken not more than six months earlier. They need to be 2”x2” each.
  • A copy of your certification of bachelor’s degree or equivalent.
  • A copy of your criminal record clearance certificate in the UK or Ireland that has been issued by the national police department. It should not be older than six months.
  • A copy of your school registration document.
  • An acceptance letter as a teacher from your school to the Royal Thai Embassy

The embassy will look at all the documents and make a decision about your visa. Hence, it’s recommended to provide as many documents as you can. If all your documents are in order, then you will be issued a non-immigrant, category B visa. It will be a single entry visa that will be valid for 90 days. You’ll be granted the visa within two working days.

However, if you wish to stay longer than 90 days in Thailand working as a teacher, then you’ll need to adhere to the process below:

  • Post your arrival in Thailand, the education institution will apply for a teacher licence at either the Ministry of University Affairs or the Ministry of Education.
  • They will also apply for a work permit at the Ministry of Labour. This will be issued within seven working days.
  • After you receive your teacher license and work permit, you’ll need to submit both the documents, along with your employment contract and certificate to the Immigration Bureau in Bangkok.
  • The Immigration Bureau will then extend your visa to cover your term of employment.

Non-Immigrant Category O Visa for Teachers

With this visa, you can only work on a voluntary basis. You need to apply for a non-immigrant, category O visa at the Embassy. You’ll need the following documents in addition to the documents mentioned for non-immigrant, category B visa.

  • An official recommendation letter from the institute based in Thailand addressed to the Embassy.
  • A letter giving information about the term of your voluntary work in Thailand.

Based on all your documents provided, the Embassy will issue a single entry visa if you have the required qualification. This visa will be valid for 90 days. But if you’d like to stay longer in Thailand, then you’ll need to submit an official introduction letter from the institute based in Thailand to the Immigration Bureau.

Always Remember…

If you’re visiting Thailand on a tourist visa, then you can’t work as a teacher in Thailand even if it is on a voluntary basis. You’ll need to appropriate visa if you wish to do so. You may be able to apply for the suitable visa from Thailand.

The Visa Fees

It’s highly recommended to contact the Royal Thai Embassy in London to get information about the latest visa fees.

Leave a Comment