The non-immigrant visa is not a tourist visa. As a UK resident, this visa will let you perform official duties or religious activities. You can also conduct business, work, study or visit family in Thailand. There are two basic types of non-immigrant visa available to people from the UK. They are 90-Days Single Entry Non-Immigrant Visa and One-Year Multiple Entries Non-Immigrant Visa.

These non-immigrant visas are further divided into various categories. Depending on your situation, you’ll need to apply for a non-immigrant visa accordingly.

The various categories and what that category permits you to do in the country have been specified below:

Category Permissible Activities
F Perform official duties.
B Conduct business, work, study teaching course, work as an English teacher, sports coach, film-producer, reporter or journalist, take boxing or scuba diving lessons, complete an internship for a short period.
IM Invest as agreed by the concerned Thai Ministries and Government departments.
IB Invest or perform other activities that relate to investment. They are subject to provision of established laws on investment promotion.
ED Study, work-study or observation tour, participation in seminars or projects, attend training course or conference or study as a foreign Buddhist monk.
M Work as a reporter, journalist or a film-producer.
R In concurrence with concerned Thai Ministries or Government departments, perform religious activities or missionary work.
RS Teach in a research institute or conduct scientific training or research.
EX Undertake skilled work or work as a specialist or an expert.
O Visit Thai spouse, parents or children. Voluntary job or retirement along with State Pension.
O-A Specifically for people over 50 who would like to stay in Thailand for a long time without working.


Basic Documents Required Irrespective of Visa Category

Just like the other visas, you’ll need to submit relevant documents that are mandatory. Each non-immigrant visa category will require additional specific documents. Mentioned below are the basic documents that you’ll need irrespective of the visa category that you’re applying for.

  • A completely filled visa application form along with your signature.
  • Passport or travel document that is valid for a minimum of six months from the date of your travel.
  • Two recent (not older than six months) and coloured photographs that are 2” high and 2” wide.
  • Proof of adequate funds – 20,000 THB, which is approximately £465 per person or 40,000 THB, which is about £930 per family.
  • An acceptance letter from Ministry of Welfare and Social Welfare.

Note: The Royal Thai Embassy may request for other additional documents based on the category of non-immigrant visa that you’re applying for.

Other Documents for Non-Immigrant Category B Visa

In addition to the above basic documents, if you’re applying for category B non-immigrant visa, then you’ll need to submit the documents mentioned below:

  • An official note certifying the purpose of travel from the following:
  • Government agencies or
  • Embassies and consulates or
  • International organisations or
  • State enterprises
  • A letter from company stating the objective of your visit to Thailand.
  • A document that shows correspondence with your trading partners in Thailand.
  • A letter of invitation from a company that is qualified to hire foreigners.
  • An employment contract that clearly states the purpose of hiring you, along with your salary, designation and qualifications. The contract needs to be signed by an authorised managing director and must be affixed with the seal of the company.
  • If you’ve already worked in the country, then copy of your work permit that was issued by the Ministry of Labour and Social Welfare.
  • Copies of corporate documents as follows:
  • Shareholders’ list
  • Business license and business registration
  • Company profile
  • Details of your business operation
  • List of all foreign workers along with their names and respective nationalities and positions
  • A map displaying the company’s location
  • A recent statement of Income Tax, balance sheet and business tax (Por Ngor Dor 30 and Por Ngor Dor 50)
  • Alien income tax return, which is Por Ngor Dor 91
  • A copy of value-added tax registration, which is Por Ngor Dor 20
  • Any other documents that you deem fit
  • A copy of your educational records as well as letter of recommendation from previous employers that clearly state your job description and length of employment.
  • For tourism business only, a document that states the number of foreign tourists
  • For export business only, a document that shows export transactions issued by the banks.

For Non-Immigrant Category ED Visa

The basic documents as mentioned above, plus the following documents:

  • An acceptance letter/transcript from the concerned universities/schools or other institutes.
  • An official note certifying the purpose of travel from the following:
  • Government agencies or
  • Embassies and consulates or
  • International organisations or
  • State enterprises

For Non-Immigrant Category IB Visa

If you’re applying for this category, you’ll need a letter from the Board of Investment, Thailand.

For Non-Immigrant Category O Visa

Based on your situation, you’ll need to submit the following additional documents:

  • If you’re parents of Thai children, then the birth certificate of your child.
  • If you’re married to a Thai national, then a copy of your marriage certificate and a copy of Thai ID card or Thai passport.
  • If you’re visiting as a family member, then a copy of marriage certificate, a copy of Thai ID of spouse or a copy of Thai passport along with a bank statement that shows a monthly income of £1,400 and above.
  • For a volunteer job, an official recommendation letter from the organisation that performs voluntary services in Thailand.
  • For a pension earner, your pension statement.

For Non-Immigrant Category O-A Long Stay Visa

  • Your proof of income that shows you’re earning a minimum of £1,400 each month or £16,500 yearly.
  • A copy of your medical record.
  • A copy of your criminal background check.

For Non-Immigrant Categories F, M and R Visas

An official note certifying the purpose of travel from the following:

  • Government agencies or
  • Embassies and consulates or
  • International organisations or
  • State enterprises

The 90-Days Single Entry Non-Immigrant visa is valid for three months. You need to ensure that you enter Thailand within the validity of the visa from the date it was issued. On the other hand, One-Year Multiple Entries Non-Immigrant visa is valid for one year. On your final visit, you need to enter Thailand before the expiry of the visa from the date it was issued.

The 90-Day Reporting Rule

If you’re staying in Thailand for more than 90 days, then you’ll need to report your current address every 90 days. This report must be filed within seven days before or seven days after your 90 days expires. But if you happen to leave Thailand within the 90 days, then the day count will restart from one once you re-enter Thailand.

It’s quite easy to file your 90-day report. You can even authorise someone to file it on your behalf. You can file it at any immigration offices in Thailand. You can even visit visa extension units or counter 3 of the Immigration Bureau Office at Soi Suanphlu in Bangkok.

You also have an option of filing your report via registered mail. For this, the following documents will need to be sent to the mailing address in Bangkok. But ensure that the documents arrive seven days before your 90-day period expires.

  • Copy of all your passport pages that shows your latest arrival stamp in Thailand or visa stamp.
  • A copy of the front and back of your arrival/departure card TM 6.
  • If applicable, any prior notifications of staying more than 90 days.
  • A completely filled and signed notification form TM 47.
  • An envelope with an affixed 5 THB stamp along with your return address for receiving the lower part of form TM 47. You need to keep this part for reference and any future notifications of staying more than 90 days.

Leave a Comment