If you’re 50 years and above and have no intention of working in the near future, then you can maybe consider moving to Thailand. The Royal Thai Embassy issues a Non-Immigrant, Category O-A visa that you may qualify for. This visa will let you stay in Thailand for a year. But keep in mind that any kind of employment under this visa is strictly prohibited.


  • On the day of submitting your visa, you must be 50 years and above.
  • As provided by the Immigration Act B.E. 2522 of 1979, you must not have been banned from entering Thailand.
  • You must not have any criminal record in Thailand as well as the UK.
  • You must be a UK citizen or permanent resident when you submit your visa application.
  • As specified in the Ministerial Regulation No.14 B.E. 2535, you should not have any prohibitive diseases like leprosy, drug addiction, tuberculosis, third phase of syphilis or elephantiasis.

Once you’re sure that you’re eligible to apply, then you’ll need the following documents for the Embassy to grant you the visa.

  • An original passport that is valid for a minimum of one year from the date of visa application.
  • Three filled and signed visa application forms.
  • Three passport size photographs that should not be older than six months.
  • A non-immigrant category O-A long-stay form.
  • Proof of funds as follows:
    • A copy of bank statement and an original reference letter from the bank, or
    • Enough funds that shows a deposit of an amount equal to and not less than 800,000 Baht, approximately £18,540, or
    • An income certificate that shows a monthly income that is not less than 65,000 Baht, approximately £1,500, or
    • Deposit account and a monthly income that adds up to nothing less than 800,000 Baht, approximately £18,540.
  • You’ll need a criminal record check from your own country as well as the UK if you’re a permanent resident. It needs to be valid for a minimum of three months.
  • If you’re residing in the UK, then you’ll need a police clearance that is issued by the ACRO Criminal Records Office.
  • You’ll also need to submit a medical record that proves you’ve never been infected with any contagious diseases that is valid for at least three months. This is in accordance with the Immigration Act B.E. 2522.
  • If you’d like to move with your spouse, then you’ll need a marriage certificate. But your spouse will be granted non-immigrant, category O visa only. They will not be granted the same visa as you.

All the copies that you submit like criminal and medical records, bank statement, marriage certificate and any other documents must be certified by solicitors or a Notary Public officer.

Submitting Visa Application

If you’re based in the UK, you’ll need to apply at the Royal Thai Embassy in London. However, if you’re applying from Thailand, then you’ll need to visit the Immigration Bureau in Bangkok.

If you’re undergoing any health rehabilitation program at health centres or in hospitals in Thailand, then they will apply for the non-immigrant, category O-A long-stay visa on your behalf. If you’re a spouse, parents or children of individuals in hospitals or health centres, then you can also apply for this visa.

The officials at the Embassy will have a look at all your documents and if everything is in order, you will be granted the visa. To know the current visa fees, you’ll need to contact the Embassy.

After Arriving in Thailand

Once you arrive in Thailand, the actual length of your stay will be determined and granted at the immigration checkpoint.

Thailand has a 90-day reporting rule for foreigners. So every 90 days, you’ll need to report yourself to the concerned authorities. You can do it in person or by post. You’ll need to complete a TM.47 form and submit it. It will be available at the immigration office.

Extending Your Stay in Thailand

If you wish to extend your stay in Thailand, you can do so. But you’ll need to show evidence of funds. You’ll need to provide proof of an amount not less than 800,000 Baht, approximately £18,540 in any one of the following ways:

  • Money transfer, or
  • Deposit account in Thailand, or
  • An income certificate, or
  • Income certificate and deposit account

If you’re able to meet the above requirement, the immigration officer may grant you a one-year visa extension. For your spouse, you’ll need a marriage certificate.

Leave a Comment